City Web Map Project

Fort Worth, Texas
Isaiah Easley


In Texas, there are two laws that make most government documents available to citizens. The Texas Public Information Act (PIA) requires state and local governments to make information public. The federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requires the federal government to do the same thing. Citizens do not need lawyers to use these laws. The PIA and FOIA make information public, but there are some exceptions.

You can request documents or information from any government agency, like school districts, police departments, cities, or counties. The PIA request, however, can only be used for Texas state government. To request information from the federal government, use the FOIA request.

The government is not required to release some information. For example, a school district can only release information about a child to the child’s parent. The police cannot release information about ongoing investigations. If someone has threatened to sue the government, the government may withhold information until the lawsuit is over. The federal government may withhold information related to national security.

Send a letter describing what your want to the agency’s public information officer to request information. Check the agency’s website to find who the information office is, or call the agency to ask. Make sure to get the fax number. If you cannot find the name of the officer, send the request to the head of the agency (for example, the County Sheriff). You can use the appropriate letter (see links below) as a model. Fill in the correct addresses and the information you want.


City Infomation

Latitude and Longitude

Latitude:N 32° 43' 31.4724"
Longitude:W 97° 19' 15.0586"
Latitude:N 32° 43.52454'
Longitude:W 97° 19.250976'
350 square miles