Week of 5/25/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Mondays (school begins @ 9:05am)
- June 1, 8
- 5/25: No School (Memorial Day)
- 5/27: Math NWEA Assessment
- 6/2: Field Day (AM) A volunteer sign up is posted on Mason’s homepage. (6/5 rain date)
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-12:30. Picnic lunch to follow at Mason. Please return forms ASAP. Thanks!
- 6/8: Author’s Tea (see below for invitation that was sent home in Boomerangs)
- 6/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 6/11: Last Day of School (11:30 dismissal)
Monday: no school
We have finished our weekly spelling patterns and spelling tests. There are great iPad apps and computer games on Mason’s website that help reinforce spelling skills. Raz Kids is also available through the summer for students to use at home.
*Thanks for helping your child each week with their spelling and homework packets!*
We are wrapping up our Author’s Study unit. We have spent time reading from Kevin Henkes books that are followed by activities that address different parts of the story, characters, vocabulary and text-to-self connections. These Book Brochures have provided students with the ability to identify the similarities and differences in Kevin Henkes books and find his “signature” writing style.
Our Grosse Pointe Writing assessments have been completed! Hip, hip, hooray! Students worked very hard on their stories and will be reading one of their written pieces for our Author’s Tea! We continue to focus on poetry writing and first grade writing skills as our year wraps up.
Go green! We have been observing our brassica and grass cups this week. We have had lots of growth from our plants and have identified the three needs of plants: water, sunlight and oxygen. Our first grade scientists are doing a great job!
- End of the Year Party Info:Please return the picnic RSVP form, Hunt’s Gym waiver and permission slip as soon as possible. A SignUpGenius will be emailed out closer to the party date for our picnic lunch.
- Summer Learning Program 2015: Below is a link to the Grosse Pointe Public Schools Summer School options. Visit this website to if you would like to browse the course offerings. http://gpschools.schoolwires.net/Domain/173